Friday, July 20, 2012

Photo of the Week- 16th to 22nd July 2012



Happy Birthday Mr M!

I thought it would be fitting to choose this pic of Nelson for our Photo of the Week as it was his Birthday on Wednesday. 67 minutes of doing good is a great idea- to see a huge section of the community donating their time to doing some good is great. We didn't do ours but have scheduled to do it in 2 weeks time at our childrens home Bethesda. And everyone was going mad- wishing him happy birthday on Facebook, Twitter, the radio etc. But I do wonder how many people actually know what he really did and who he really was. I don't think I can answer this question but If you know me at all, you know I am obsessed with the Rivonia Trial and the period 1961 to 1963, particularly anti-apartheid resistance. So I thought It would be fitting to post a bit of the speech that Nelson Mandela gave at the Rivonia Trial. I find it incredibly inspirational.

"I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons will live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for, and to see realised. But my Lord, if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

LOVE IT!!!

FYI, the image is from the public art mosaics on Hollard Street by Marco Cianfanelli. Another great piece of Inner City Public Art